We all know that since the new UI came (patch 6.22 I believe), and many of the pre-season 7 changes. Many people with older hardware started experiencing really bad FPS drops (And complaining about it on the boards). Even I did, on a PC I use mainly for Web browsing/League/CS:GO eventually.
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (Stock clock @ 2x 2.2 ghz)
- 4 GB DDR2 800 mhz Dual-Channel ram
- Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS 512 MB GDDR2
Before those patches came, I never had FPS drops, played with these settings:
- 800x600 (Custom resolution set via config)
- Very High character textures
- Medium environment textures
- Medium graphical effects
- Vsync - Off
- Character inking - Off
- Uncapped FPS
Played with a steady 60-70 frames, which would drop to 40-50 in teamfights
Changing in-game settings didn't change much, even setting all values to their lowest, nothing improved.
Now, on this PC, when a shitload of minions is on the map, the FPS would drastically reduce, even remaining a constant 20-30 fps when no action is happening, but there are a lot of allied/enemy minions rendering. This wasn't the case before. In teamfights under those conditions, it's basically unplayable 10-20 fps.
I reckon Riot improved the minion AI, more complex thinking and mechanics, which in return put quite the strain on the CPU, and that's what's causing these major FPS drops lately.
I think Riot should update their minimum requirements required to play the game properly.
• ~~2 GHz processor (supporting SSE2 instruction set or higher)~~ **Core2Duo E6400/AMD Athlon II X2 250 or equivalent**
• ~~Shader version 2.0 capable video card~~ **Nvidia GeForce 8800/AMD Radeon 5570 (Or similar) with atleast 512 mb of vram**
• ~~1 GB RAM (2 GB of RAM for Windows Vista and newer)~~ **2 gigs should be the minimum since the new client came, which eats up to 1 gig of ram when doing nothing
**Hopefully a Rioter can have a look at this thread and tell players what happened with the minions that they cause such performance issues.**
**Remember that this is happening only with older hardware, I have no issues whatsoever playing league on my main rig, and neither should you**
GL Hf summoners.